hist-games: Pre-15 Centure Dice

Brent Hanner behanner at swt.edu
Wed Apr 18 13:26:22 PDT 2001

 Heather Sayers wrote:

 > Hi there -
 >
 > I have been researching dice from the middle ages, and have found a
number
 > of dice games that were played, but can't seem to find any
information on
 > how to actually make the dice.  I realize that many people used
 > knucklebones, etc, but I'm interested in making the dice out of clay
or
 > ceramic (which are period).

 In both excavations of London and King's Lynn have turned up bone dice.
 Not necessarily knucklebones.  The dice appear to be cut from a solid
 bone.  Do you have any evidence of clay or ceramic dice?  Does anyone?

 Brent

--
"To the Piave rode our band / where, on a pretty meadowland,
I saw awaiting me a knight. / I recognized him at first sight-

Service of Ladies by Ulrich von Lichtenstien