hist-games: Dice game - raffle?

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Mar 25 16:20:30 PST 2001

The aforementioned pamphlet, "Delights of Life in Fifteenth-Century England"
mentiones a dice game called "raffle", supposedly played in the 15th c. with
three dice and sourced to the book I inquired about, McLean, Teresa, _The
English at Play in the Middle Ages_ (Windsor Forest: Kensal Press, 1983)

Has anyone ever heard if this game?  I've been seeking pre-17th century
dice games and have exhaused known online resources and lots of printed
ones.

- Teceangl
                  "He washed his mouth and can't do a thing with it."
						     - SJK  8-28-96  04:23