hist-games: Curious cards question

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Sat Mar 17 09:29:11 PST 2001

Thierry and other card sages-

I'm suddenly struck by the similarity between the lao sui rule in Chinese Luk
Fu and the hukm in ganjifa.

My notes on ganjifa are based on Michael Dummet's article in the Victoria and
Albert Museum catalog, which I had on inter-libary loan and it's long-since
been returned. I have written that the 8-suit ganjifa deck represents a
doubling of the Mamluk deck, the a "highest card first" rule makes me wonder
if the order is reversed.

Thoughts?

Sally W