hist-games: Pallone/Kaatsen scoring

John McLeod john at pagat.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 13:04:53 PST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001  <SEDWilkins at aol.com> wrote:
>When a ball goes out of bounds or dies in the receiving team's court the
>referee sets a caccia. This is both a new "mid-line" on the court a potential
>point -- to be won how?? (A standard point is won by driving the ball over
>the receiving team's baseline?)

Just a guess - it sounds similar to the scoring of a chase in (real)
tennis, and as far as I know, "caccia" actually means chase.

In tennis, when the ball bounces twice at player A's end of the court,
before player A can hit it, a chase is created. There is no immediate
point scored for this, but the distance from the back of the court at
A's end where the second bounce occurs is remembered (there are lines
across the court to facilitate this). When the players next change ends,
the chase is played off: if either player wins this new point outright
it is scored and the chase is cancelled, but if the result is another
double bounce, then the if the second bounce is at the same end as
before (now defended by B) and nearer to the back of the court at that
end, then A wins the point; otherwise B wins it.

>Two cacce and a particular combination of scores causes the teams to change
>ends of the court--does this then put the already winning team in the
>position of defending the smaller court?

This fits with the theory. In tennis, players change ends whenever
either there are two outstanding chases, or there is one chase and only
one point is needed to win the current game. That way, there is never an
outstanding chase at the end of a game.
--
John McLeod                      For information on card games visit
john at pagat.demon.co.uk           http://www.pagat.com/