hist-games: SV: hist-games-digest V1 #287

Mattila Johannes johannes.mattila at tullverket.se
Tue Feb 27 07:53:02 PST 2001

Hi I have been interested with the tafl type games for some time mostly into
the the strategy and rules what balances the game and what dont.

The hnefatafl game you describe resemles the tafl bord refered to by Linne
at his travels among the samic poeple (scandinavian aborigines). Nefatafle
(kings table) refers as far as I know to a larger 11x11 board.
both tafl and featchel (dont know the spelling) as I been thought them has a
different setup for the players where there is no pieces starting in the
corners
The markings for what I believe is a tabl board referensed is exit points
for the king, in nefatafl these are not to be stepped on and can be captured
aginst.

Sorry my work keeps me from a more fullfilling reply but feel free to mail
me and ill expand when time alow it.

Regards
Ld. Steinar Vidfamne
Mundanely Johannes Mattila