hist-games: tablero replacement?

Chas webmaster at historicgames.com
Sun Feb 11 06:54:11 PST 2001

> > Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 01:56:49 -0800
> To: hist-games at pbm.com
> From: gusgus at lightspeed.bc.ca (Heather )
> Subject: "Tabloro" The Scottish Drinking Game
>
>   The reference in the discussion of Tablero de Jesus to it being turned
> into a Scottish drinking game just makes me laugh. You see it probable that
> this reference was actually intended to be to Tablero de Gucci, a drinking
> game invented by my brother. My family has been in the SCA since January of
> 1975, and on our first trip to the "Central West Kingdom" the California Bay
> Area in 1976 we were introduced to El Tablero de Jesus by Maelgwyn and
> Merewyn de Lyonesse. We fell in love with the game and spread it liberally
> throughout AnTir and many other parts of the Known World. When my brother,
> Andre Lessard (Derek Stevens) grew older he and I were at a modern party
> attended by mostly SCA people. My brother came up with the idea of replacing
> the coins involved in Tablero de Jesus with shot glasses filled with drinks
> of the players' choice. The game immediately caught on and has been spread
> throughout the world by those who enjoy the game. The rules have been
> modified as time has passed, but it still remains true to it's roots. If you
> would like a copy of the rules please contact me.

Just for fun, here's more period gambling/drinking game than Tablero -for when
the authenticity police are on patrol!  ;-)

It was played on a "tables" (Backgammon) board with up to 5 people. Although a
board is not necessarily required. The 17th century drinking version of the
game is at the bottom and was apparently described by Charles Cotton in the 1670's.

Sixe-Ace

	A simple gambling, or drinking game at “Tables” and one of the few Backgammon
versions that is not a race around/across the board. The object is to clear
all of the pieces from your side of the board. Each player starts with a stake
of six pieces (or coins) placed along his side of the board. The center of the
board acts as the "pool" or pot. The numbers tell the players what they must do:

Roll a 1: Pay one piece to the opponent’s side of the board.
Roll 2: The “pool,” if it has any, pays one to your side of the board.
3 & 4: Do nothing.
5: Pay one to the pool.
6: Win a coin from your own side of the board, and set it aside.

	Two dice are used and rolls from each are played separately, not added
together. Thus, a roll of 1 & 2 requires the player to pay one piece to the
opponent, AND take one from the pool. Doubles are also counted separately, so
rolling two "5’s" requires you to pay two coins to the pool. Players receive
another roll if they throw doubles, with the exception of double “2’s”. (An
alternate version was that double 2’s wins the entire pool, and received a
second roll.) When a player has cleared his side of the board, he must then
roll a six to win and end the game before getting stuck with any more pieces.

	4-Player Sixe-Ace.
Each player starts with his six coins, or pieces on one of the four sections
of points on the board, and again the center of the board is the pool. On
rolling a "1" you pay the player on your right.

Drinking version
 Up to five people can play (-evenly dividing the 30 pieces in a Backgammon
set) Scoring the rolls is performed as in 4-player except on rolling a 2 the
player must also drink and roll again. The last two players stuck on the board
(or sometimes the last one) pays for the drinks!

Chas
--
MacGregor Games
Purveyors of historic pastimes to re-enactors around the world