hist-games: FW: dominoes

John McLeod john at pagat.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 10 09:29:05 PST 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 Susan and Michael McKay <Susan and Michael McKay
<seaan at concentric.net>> wrote:
>I don't usually keep track of dominos, because they
>don't appear until after my primary times of interest (late 18th century).

According to Andrew Lo, the earliest extant manual on dominoes is by Qu
You (1347-1433) who wrote the "Xuanhe paipu" (manual of dominoes in the
Xuanhe period 1119-1125). Also Xie Zhaozhe (1567-1624) mentions the
legend of their invention in 1112. Even if these and various other
references to domino playing in the 12th century are not to be trusted,
they must certainly have been in use well before the early 15th century,
when the first of these books was written.
--
John McLeod                      For information on card games visit
john at pagat.demon.co.uk           http://www.pagat.com/