hist-games: Games appropriate for children

Susan and Michael McKay seaan at concentric.net
Sun Jan 28 20:42:01 PST 2001

I'll agree that Goose itself is not very challenging.  For adults, and most
kids, the way to make it more interesting is to add gambling.  I have a
bunch of coins (SCA made), which I distribute to the players at the
beginning of the game.

They pay one coin when starting, and one coin for each special square they
land on (good or bad).  Not only does this make the game more interesting,
it helps them understand why a single game could go on for days (the winner
clears out the pot, but it rapidly refills).  Don't roll "9" on the 60
square!

The other thing that helps is that I lecture on historical game facts while
they are playing the game.  Goose is a good game for this, because it does
not require lots of mental concentration (unlike, for instance, Chess).
Since I don't have that much information on Goose, I tend to address
gambling at large.  Lots of information there, and some good stories too.

Michael McKay  (known in the SCA as Seaan McAy)
seaan at concentric.net