hist-games: Games appropriate for children

Jane & Mark Waks waks at ne.mediaone.net
Sat Jan 27 06:46:31 PST 2001

Eva Grammer wrote:
> I am teaching at Gulf Wars Page School this year on period games.  I
> have been challenged by the Page School Dean to find a new game for the
> kids to learn this year.  Meridian kids are pretty up on their
> games...they do Nine Men's Morris and the like.  So, I was thinking
> Gluckshaus and the Game of Goose.  But I was hoping maybe the list could
> come up with something more...well, esoteric, for lack of a better word?

Hmm. By "esoteric", I assume you mean something a little more different
from modern games. (So for example, not alquerques, which is fairly
close to checkers in spirit.)

Okay, here a suggestion if they don't already know it: tafl. (Although
any variant of it would do; hnefetafl is probably a good one to start
with.) The board is easy to make, the pieces just basic whites and
blacks with one king, and the rules are more straightforward than most.
One of those games that's very quick to learn, but takes a lot of
practice to master.

A variety of reconstructions can be found off the Period Games Rules
page:

	http://www.waks.org/game-hist/game-rules.html