hist-games: mongolian games

James Masters - Personal james.masters at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 15:23:49 PST 2001

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Mongolian games but I had thought
Shogi was Japanese Chess.  From Karate, I think I recall that Heian is
Japanese for 'Beginners' or 'Training' but 'early' may be more correct.

> I am also aware of the sheep ankle bone game, but have no rules
> for it. (or
> dice for that matter)  Any information about this would also be
> appreciated.

Is this not the original form of Jacks or Fivestones?  Such games are played
by children the world over with sheep or pig knucklebones, sometimes
painted.  You throw them up and catch them on the back of your hand or catch
them after first clapping or stamping the ground.  There are some rules on
http://www.mastersgames.com.