hist-games: mongolian games

Ogedei Mongolian Extrordinaire ogedei at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 25 10:18:10 PST 2001

Greetings to the list

I am looking for documentation on games from the time of the Mongolian
Empire.

I am aware of Ming Mang from Tibet and Mishy Mashy of the Maygars.  I have
no other information on these.  Does anyone have a source I could look at to
find docs on these games?

I am also aware of "chinese chess" aka Shogi.  I have found a rules variant
called "Heian Shogi" or Early shogi which claims to be the early form of it.
  again any evidence or documentation on the playing of this by mongols
would be appreciated.

I am also aware of the sheep ankle bone game, but have no rules for it. (or
dice for that matter)  Any information about this would also be appreciated.

Information on any other games the mongols played, board or otherwise would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Og.