hist-games: Chaupur/Pachisi

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 04:27:48 PST 2001

Hi again folks-

I'm working on a description of chaupur, and I've come up with a couple of
questions, both having to do with having multiple aligned pieces occupying a
single space.

In modern pachisi two pieces of the same color occupying the same space can
thenceforth move together on a single throw. And two or more aligned pieces
(of a single player or partners) in a single space form a blockade which an
opposing piece cannot pass.

Also in modern pachisi capture of multiple pieces occupying the same space
must be by an equal number of opposing pieces (which necessitates either the
capturing pieces moving as a block or a single piece being able to move on to
a square occupied by multiple aligned pieces, to be followed by another piece
later accomplishing the multiple capture.

I'm using Murray, Falkner, Bell, Culin and Grunfeld as my main sources on
this one, and none of specifically points this change out. Do you think I am
right in asserting that this "safety in numbers" rule is one of the
distinctions between the older and newer games? It seems like a fairly major
change in the way the game was played. Unless it *was* part of chaupur and
I've missed it somehow. . .

Sally Wilkins