hist-games: Zodiac

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 04:50:52 PST 2001

Hi games-folk:

The more I try to describe Zodiac the crazier it's making me. Murray says the
board is divided into 12 sections, for the 12 signs of the Zodiac, but the
board in the Alfonso ms is obviously in 7 sections. If there are twelve, then
there would be some combinations that didn't result in any payout, which
would, one supposes, be a relief! But what order ought the signs to go in? It
wouldn't be every other house being not-owned, since it's a 7/5 split, not a
6/6 one. Has anybody out there actually played this game?

I presume, since the Alfonso illustration shows cubic dice as well as the
seven-sided die, that on each throw which of the seven sides comes up
determines which ring you move your piece in, and the regular dice determine
how many places you move?

boggledly,

Sally Wilkins