hist-games: card games--Naib/ganjifa and Zodiac

Adrian Seville A.H.Seville at city.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 04:29:36 PST 2001

Dear Trevor,

I have two versions of R C Bell's The Board Game Book.

The earlier is the US edition of 1979, published by Knapp Press, LA.
This is in a slip case and lists on page 7 at the end of the contents as follows:

Fold-out sheets:
Basket of Fruit
Cottage of Content
Game of Genius
Hare and Tortoise
Journey Through Life
Railway Game
Tour Through Europe
Zodiac

Equipment Sheet.

The other version is the second printing (1983) of the Marshall Cavendish
(UK) edition of 1979.

This lists at the end of  page 7 only the Equipment sheet and this sheet is
simply loose into the book, which does not have a slip case.

I have not seen the 1979 UK edition and it may well be from what you say
that it, too, has a slip case and all the extra sheets.  I had assumed from the
use of the term 'reprint' in the 1983 UK version that the 1979 UK version
would be identical.

You can never assume anything in bibliographic matters!

Adrian