hist-games: card games--Naib/ganjifa

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Tue Dec 19 09:59:49 PST 2000

While I'm asking impossible questions, does anyone know of any directions,
period or contemporary, for card games using ganjifa? I seem to be only
finding them as art objects.

And would it be reasonable, do you suppose, to posit a pre-Hombre simple
trick-taking game played with the 52-card deck described by John of
Rheinfelden? It seems very odd that the cards were introduced with 52 cards
and the oldest games we know of are played with 40 and 48 card decks. But
many of you are more learned in this than I, and I haven't read this
suggestion anywhere. . .or have I missed it?

Sally W