hist-games: Period Playing cards

aliadeblois at hushmail.com aliadeblois at hushmail.com
Tue Dec 19 08:32:26 PST 2000

At Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:55:41 +0100, Thierry Depaulis <thierry.depaulis at freesbee.fr>
wrote:

>If by "medieval" you mean something before 1450, forget it! There are
>four or five packs *only* that can be dated to this period. And none has
>any picture on the net.
>Playing cards arrived in Europe not earlier than 1350/60 (this we know
>from written records), and no actual card is known to date before c.1430.

	I'd settle for anything before 1600 [1]... would you happen to have some
links for some post-1450 playing card images, or for construction tips (ie,
 paper weight to use, etc)?  I've been thinking of doing playing cards as
my next crafting project, but seem to live in a land where libraries are
devoid of good research books.

Lillith

[1] What a surprise, I'm in the SCA.  :)