hist-games: Period Playing cards

Thierry Depaulis thierry.depaulis at freesbee.fr
Mon Dec 18 22:55:41 PST 2000

Steve Maynard wrote:
>Hi All,
>            Does anyone know of any good piccies and info on the web about
>medieval playing cards, the earlier the better

If by "medieval" you mean something before 1450, forget it! There are four
or five packs *only* that can be dated to this period. And none has any
picture on the net.
Playing cards arrived in Europe not earlier than 1350/60 (this we know from
written records), and no actual card is known to date before c.1430.
Thierry Depaulis