hist-games: Queries about the Game of the Goose

Michael and Susan McKay seaan at concentric.net
Mon Nov 6 20:55:12 PST 2000

I have seen paper prints of "The Game of Goose".  This was a couple of years
ago, so I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I recall the print was c.1650.
It was in either the Victoria and Albert Museum, or the London Guild Hall
Library.  I'll dig up my photo album and see if I got a picture of it.  I've
been meaning to scan them into my website anyway.

While on the subject, there were a number of pictorial card decks that were
popular approx. from 1680 onwards (the heraldry decks, the Horrid Popish
Plot, etc.).  A few of these decks doubled as race games.  An uncut print,
which could be recreated by laying the cards in the proper location, would
form a circular chase circuit ala. The Game of Goose.  While too late for
SCA re-creation, I'd still love to see someone make a replica.  The London
Guild Hall Library has some copies in excellent condition (I remember a
print in uncut format).  The London Guild Hall had made a number of
pictorial replica decks, but so far not one of the race formats.

Michael McKay  (known in the SCA as Seaan McAy)
seaan at concentric.net