hist-games: Queries about the Game of the Goose

Jane & Mark Waks waks at ne.mediaone.net
Mon Nov 6 19:39:30 PST 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> I have never seen a commercially available printed
> board of the Game of the Goose.  Who makes it?  Where
> could I get a copy?  I am from Los Angeles,
> California, and usually I can find almost anything
> somewhere in the Greater Los Angeles area, but this I
> haven't.  I suspect that it may be British or perhaps
> Australian?

Nope, although it isn't exactly Milton-Bradley. It's actually listed on
the Period Games homepage (under Vendors), though. Kadon Enterprises
makes most of the coolest boardgames currently being produced -- they
specialize in inventing imaginative and well-balanced abstract board
games, and I'm quite fond of their stuff. Along the way, they sell just
a few period games, including a rather pretty Goose board:

	http://www.gamepuzzles.com/histfun.htm

The board styling is more modern than Renaissance, but not so much so as
to look bad at an SCA event. Not cheap ($45 for the cloth board, $125
for the wooden one), but I've found the quality of the workmanship to be
consistently first-rate.

They also sell Merels, and Fox & Geese. And they're a fine company,
worth patronizing. (If you're looking for a great modern boardgame,
Octiles is probably my favorite invention of the past decade...)

				-- Justin
				   Who owns a number of Kadon's boards...