hist-games: Queries about the Game of the Goose

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Nov 4 15:15:04 PST 2000

> > _Fun and Games in Old Europe_ by W. Endrei and L. Zolnay (published by
> > Corvina Kiado, Budapest 1986, no ISBN)

> Yaas; it's one of my favorite sources. I'm not even sure that the text
> is actually wrong -- my personal suspicion is that it has mostly fallen
> prey to a lousy translation. (I believe it's originally Hungarian.) The
> citations aren't as well-organized as I might wish, but it quotes all
> *kinds* of useful sources that aren't much mentioned elsewhere.
>
> Last I checked, this was still available as a special order from Amazon.
> Highly recommended: I've found it one of the half-dozen most useful
> books on the topic of period games...

I concur about the translation being the likely problem in the inaccuracies.

There was a copy at Powell's Books - www.powells.com - last night when I
wandered by the shelf.  That's where I got mine.

- Teceangl
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect, had intended for us to forgo their use." - Galileo