hist-games: Queries about the Game of the Goose

Jane & Mark Waks waks at ne.mediaone.net
Sat Nov 4 10:05:20 PST 2000

Teceangl wrote:
> I can only tell you that the picture of the c. 1600 board from Holland in
> _Fun and Games in Old Europe_ by W. Endrei and L. Zolnay (published by
> Corvina Kiado, Budapest 1986, no ISBN) on page 38 has a goose on spaces 5, 9,
> 14, 18, etc. and continue every 5 then 4 then 5 then 4 spaces around the
> board.
> This is the only picture of a period or near-period board I've seen, all
> other pictures being much later.

I concur -- while I can't recall other period boards, this seems to be
the standard reconstruction, and matches the post-period boards. (Goose
has been played semi-continuously since period, far as I can tell.)

> (Note that the reference above is unreliable in text, but the illustrations
> are great and well dated.)

Yaas; it's one of my favorite sources. I'm not even sure that the text
is actually wrong -- my personal suspicion is that it has mostly fallen
prey to a lousy translation. (I believe it's originally Hungarian.) The
citations aren't as well-organized as I might wish, but it quotes all
*kinds* of useful sources that aren't much mentioned elsewhere.

Last I checked, this was still available as a special order from Amazon.
Highly recommended: I've found it one of the half-dozen most useful
books on the topic of period games...