hist-games: Queries about the Game of the Goose

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Nov 4 03:16:23 PST 2000

> According to one set of rules I have seen, the geese are placed every
> multiple of 9 squares, as second set claimed that they are placed every 6 (I
> think - it may have been 5) and then Dagonell the Juggler
> (http://www cs.canisius.edu/~salley/Articles/goose.html) says that they are
> placed 5 then 4 then 5 and so on.
>
> Can anyone tell me authoritatively which is true?  Please?

I can only tell you that the picture of the c. 1600 board from Holland in
_Fun and Games in Old Europe_ by W. Endrei and L. Zolnay (published by
Corvina Kiado, Budapest 1986, no ISBN) on page 38 has a goose on spaces 5, 9,
14, 18, etc. and continue every 5 then 4 then 5 then 4 spaces around the
board.
This is the only picture of a period or near-period board I've seen, all
other pictures being much later.
(Note that the reference above is unreliable in text, but the illustrations
are great and well dated.)

- Teceangl
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect, had intended for us to forgo their use." - Galileo