hist-games: period chess set construction

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Nov 3 17:49:35 PST 2000

> I have read the archives concerning the history of chess with great
> interest. I am interested in learning how to construct sets using "period" tools,
> methods, and materials (and of course, how the tools themselves were made).
> Has anyone attempted this or know any good places to start?

Two books I've found with some information:
  A. E. J. Mackett-Beeson - _Chessmen_
  Donald M. Liddell - _Chessmen_

Sorry, no ISBN or publisher data, I got the titles from the local library.
The first brushes over the creation of chess sets, the second has slightly
better information.

I suggest some good research into the forms of the chess pieces, too.  It
pains me in the SCA to see someone hand-turn a chess set using 18th century
piece forms.

- Teceangl
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect, had intended for us to forgo their use." - Galileo