hist-games: Roulette

Rachjasp at aol.com Rachjasp at aol.com
Mon Oct 16 04:22:34 PDT 2000

Dear history of games people,
I am looking into Roulette, and was wondering if there is any documentary
evidence for roulette-type games (ie using a wheel of some sort)dating from
before the mid-seventeenth century. The claim that Pascal invented Roulette
seems to be relatively unsubstantiated, but I am not sure that I trust claims
for an earlier provenance.
Can anyone help?
Rachel