hist-games: for you, Justin (about Byzantine Chess)

Jane & Mark Waks waks at ne.mediaone.net
Mon Oct 9 18:49:08 PDT 2000

JVButlerJr at aol.com wrote:
>     As for the round board, does the 800 year old Turkish round board on
> display in the British Museum in London count?  I got my round board twelve
> years ago from a company in London that is making reproductions.

Intriguing -- now *this* is exactly the kind of information I'm looking
for. If there actually is a board with this format from Turkey
(especially from 800 years ago), that would be pretty solid confirmation
of the provenance of the game. (And I can stop being contrarian about
it.) Anyone have more details? I haven't heard about this board
before...