hist-games: for you, Justin (about Byzantine Chess)

David Baines alfred1sca at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 9 14:30:57 PDT 2000

Justin,

I remember an exchange a few months ago in which the "periodness" of
Byzantine chess was discussed.  You expressed concern that Alfonzo's account
of the game is not enough to prove that it was played in period.  Well, I
have not found independent confirmation of that variant, but I found
documentation that chess (of some variant) was played in Eastern Europe as
early as 1093.  That is when it was banned by the Orthodox Church; we can
assume that it was played in those lands much earlier.  Here is the link
(the information is under "Religion and Chess"):

http://misc.traveller.com/chess/trivia/r.html

Alfred of Suffolk