hist-games: Gambling games for Tavern

Jane & Mark Waks waks at ne.mediaone.net
Sun Oct 1 14:50:50 PDT 2000

Okay, here's a list of suggestions for gambling games. All can be found
off of the Period Games Rules Homepage:

	http://waks.ne.mediaone.net/game-hist/game-rules.html

Bear in mind that almost anything can be a gambling game if you just
decide to wager on it. But games are are particularly well-suited
include the following:

------

Bone-Ace or One-and-Thirty: essentially the period equivalent of
Blackjack.

Noddy: The Elizabethan version of Cribbage; not inherently a gambling
game, but quick enough to be reasonable.

Gleek: a high-stakes card game for three.

Laugh and Lie Down: a particular favorite of mine -- light, easy and
inherently a gambling game.

Maw: I'm not certain of the provenance of the reconstruction, but the
game's definitely period, and the reconstruction is clearly a gambling
game.

Primero: the period equivalent of poker. Another fundamentally
gambling-oriented game. Moderate complexity -- easier than Gleek, harder
than One-and-Thirty.

Gluckhaus: a dice/board game that is built around gambling. Very easy
and fast. Pure luck.

Hazard: the ancestor of Craps. Pretty complex as dicing games go.

Inn and Inn: a simple and fast dicing game for two or three.

Tablero: one of my favorite gambling games, but do see the warnings
about whether it's really period or not.

Ticktack: a really great gambling version of backgammon. One of the
best.

Shove Groat: requires appropriate equipment, but lots of fun.

------

As I said, lots of others are definitely useable for gambling. But these
are ones that seem to work particularly well in that environment...