hist-games: Gambling games for Tavern

Jane & Mark Waks waks at ne.mediaone.net
Sun Oct 1 14:40:52 PDT 2000

James Masters - Personal wrote:
> Would have thought Shut the Box would be a good bet (scuse pun).  Maybe
> Cribbage, Dominoes?

Problem is, I think this is an SCA event, and all are a bit late for SCA
purposes. I haven't seen any documentation for Shut the Box anywhere
near 1600 (I mostly hear about it in an 18th or 19th century context).
Dominoes is probably period for China, but I have no reason to believe
it was known in Europe pre-1600. Cribbage isn't bad, but it's 17th
century; Noddy is its 16th-century ancestor...