hist-games: Gambling games for Tavern

Alexx S Kay alexx at world.std.com
Sat Sep 30 13:02:20 PDT 2000

> > 3) For those who want skill, try checkers/draughts and some of the table
> > (backgammon) variants.
>
> My problem with these games is that they don't exist for gambling, if you
> will.  Certainly, I will be taking along my Tablut, Nine Men's Morris,
> Backgammon, Alquerque ... boards, but I don't see these as "gambling games"
> per se.

Actually, Ticktack is a 'tables' variant that is clearly meant as a
gambling game, plays *very* quickly, and is lots of fun.  Justin's
and my reconstruction can be found here:

http://waks.ne.mediaone.net//game-hist/game-recon-ticktack.html

Alexx Kay
Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employers
alexx at world.std.com
http://world.std.com/~alexx
"On the other hand, Casablanca doesn't start off with a credit sequence
 showing Bogart romping around half-naked and wet on a trapeze, either, and
 contains no discernible torture sequence involving a woman in an electrified
 steel bikini.  Always gotta be some room for improvement."
                        -- A review of Barb Wire