hist-games: dreidel

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Wed Sep 27 04:58:49 PDT 2000

Gould's _The Top_ hypothesizes that the Roman legions carried teetotums
across Europe and that they were then adapted by various cultures,
unfortunately his bibliographic references are done in a very non-specific
way which makes it impossible for me to determine (without reading all his
reference materials, which I don't have in house) to know what his basis was
for this suggestion.

~Sally Wilkins
No Red Sox. . .

ps--note to the person who sent me the inquiry about what the dreidel is--I
seem to have lost your message. As you've no doubt figured out from the
discussion, a dreidel is a 4-sided teetotum used in a child's game at
Hannukah, with the four letters having a double meaning--put, take half, take
all or do nothing, or "A Great Miracle Happened There" (in Hebrew).