hist-games: dreidel

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Sep 27 01:07:18 PDT 2000

> The 'standard' texts say that Dreidel was invented to cover up the
> Sabbath 'shul' congregation of young boys in countries where Jews were
> persecuted. On the approach of potential persecutors/ informers,
> religious instruction would rapidly cease and the dreidel would be
> brought out, giving the appearance of a gambling school.

Which standard texts?  The onlt thing I've yet seen which speculates that
origin for dreidl is the online page found off of Justin's site.
I just cut dreidl from a lisitng I have of pre-1600 gambling games because
I couldn't find a single dated reference for it.  My gut says it does date
that far back, but without evidence I cannot in clear conscience present it
as such.  I'd love some solid documentation, if you have it, please.

- Teceangl
--
     To heck with a self-cleaning oven; I want a self-cleaning fish.