hist-games: FW: "game of the palm"

Thierry Depaulis thierry.depaulis at freesbee.fr
Mon Jul 3 09:45:17 PDT 2000

James Masters wrote:
>Anyone have any info on the "game of the palm" from the 12th century France?
>
>James Masters
>Masters Traditional Games
>Kew
>England

Wouldn't it be a mere translation of "jeu de paume", i.e. real tennis?

The problem is that we have no evidence for the game before the *late 13th
century* (J.-M. Mehl, Les jeux au royaume de France, XIIIe-XVIe siecle,
Paris, 1990).

Are you, Jim, able to quote any *serious* 12th-century reference?

Thierry Depaulis
(Paris)