hist-games: period chess

Mark Waks, AKA Justin du Coeur justin at intermetrics.com
Mon May 22 10:39:25 PDT 2000

David Baines wrote:
> Check out Byzantine Chess.  It was played in period for several centuries
> and features a round, non-standard gameboard.  I don't have any references
> for you at this time, but it is a fun game.

Actually, this is something I've been wondering. Is there *any* evidence
for Byzantine Chess aside from the Alfonso MS? Fond though I am of
Alfonso, I have to be a little nervous about the accuracy of an account
coming from all the way across the continent, and it wouldn't seem to
give us any indication of how long or how widely the game was actually
played...

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

"talk.bizarre: an in-joke masquerading as a newsgroup."