hist-games: Chess - modern - when?

Mark Waks, AKA Justin du Coeur justin at intermetrics.com
Mon May 22 10:37:15 PDT 2000

"Alex R. Kraaijeveld" wrote:
> To my knowledge (and someone correct me if I'm wrong!), the changes of the
> 'old' wazir to the 'modern' queen plus several others occurred in the late
> 15th century. So that would mean that by 1500 the game was played
> (virtually?) identical to today.

Hmm. I've been teaching it as a good century later. Okay, time to dig
out the books.

Looking through Murray, he largely supports Alex' contention -- Murray
indicates that the modern game (which I always think of as Chess of the
Mad Queen) was introduced somewhere in the ballpark of 1475, probably
starting in Spain.

However, you should keep in mind that the evolution was gradual -- there
is evidence of the old game still being played for a good 50+ years
after that. The transition wasn't complete until somewhere between
1525-1550.

So the correct answer is that modern chess wasn't universal by then, but
was certainly known and well on its way to taking over completely. As
Greg says, style of play still had centuries of evolution before really
reaching the modern form, but the rules didn't change much after then...

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

"talk.bizarre: an in-joke masquerading as a newsgroup."