hist-games: Chess - modern - when?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon May 22 07:46:06 PDT 2000

> So that would mean that by 1500 the game was played
> (virtually?) identical to today.

Having today's rules is different from playing like today -- the
theory of how to play has evolved quite a lot, and so as a result,
openings and play are not at all the same.

When I did a chess tournament at an event, I went back to using the
old rules for the queen, in order to disrupt everyone's playing style.

-- greg