hist-games: Chess - modern - when?

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sat May 20 05:31:00 PDT 2000

I'm in a spirited disagreement with a friend.  He wishes to play chess
as it was played in 1500, yet he also insists on playing modern chess
and saying it was played as it is now in the 16th century.
Me, I can barely remember how the pieces move (watching me teach people
is a real delight for the local chess players, watching me get blown out
of the water by absolute beginners is even more fun, they say).

So, I am hitting the books, but would appreciate more info from those who
truly know.  When was modern standard chess first played?  Which version
(an assize, was it?) would have been appropriate for England in 1500?

- Teceangl
--
                Gwell car yn y llys nag aur ar fys