hist-games: Pieces for games

Mark Waks, AKA Justin du Coeur justin at intermetrics.com
Wed Mar 29 10:40:12 PST 2000

Teceangl wrote:
> I want to see pieces for playing games and the boards which were used.
>
> My current resources are:

You should probably get a copy of HJR Murray's "A History of Chess",
which was back in print from Benjamin Press (Northampton, MA) last I
checked. The illustrations are hand-drawn, but there are a moderate
number of them. (All chess pieces, of course.)

Also on chess, there's a wonderful coffeetable book, *believe* named "An
Illustrated History of Chess", which I have buried somewhere. The text
isn't terribly interesting, but it is spectacularly chock-full of
illustrations, including about a billion photographs of chess pieces
from various eras. If that name doesn't seem to work, tell me and I can
find my copy and get more info...

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

"You know those bumper stickers you can get that say 'I <heart> my Cat'
 or Schnauzer or whatever? -- I saw an ad in the Village Voice for a
 little stick on <Screw> icon you can put over the heart...."
		-- Terry Smith