hist-games: Shut the Box

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Mar 28 17:32:36 PST 2000

I have only one reference which has even a gracing date on this game, and
that references Norman sailors.  I don't trust the book, for all it is a
glorious visual reference, because the text leaves a lot to be desired
in regards to accuracy.  Perhaps a problem in the translation...

Has anyone any _solid_ dating on Shut the Box?  That Jeffrey DeLuca put
it into his book _Medieval Games_ isn't really good enough for me at this
point.  :)

(The ill-texed but wonderfully illustrated book mentioned above is _Fun and
Games in Old Europe_ by W.Endrei and L.Zolnay.  Fantastic illustrations, but
certain things make me distrust the text, such as all the nard/backgammon
boards continuously called draughts boards, and the Poch dish labeled a
Gluckshous board.)

- Teceangl
--
                Gwell car yn y llys nag aur ar fys