hist-games: How did vikings play chess??

David KUIJT kuijt at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Feb 1 09:53:40 PST 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Mark Waks, AKA Justin du Coeur wrote:

> To emphasize this a bit: as I read it, Chess reached *southern* Europe
> around the millennium. Communication being what it was, I get the
> impression that it took one to two centuries after that to make it up to
> the northern end...
>
> 				-- Justin

The Vikings were raiding, working as mercenaries, and trading as far as
Byzantium and Moorish Spain.  So I wouldn't be surprised at all if the
Vikings themselves were the vector by which Chess reached England,
Scotland, etc; and the Vikings would very likely be playing chess as soon
as or before it reached France, England, or the Holy Roman Empire.

The above is entirely supposition, though.

David Kuijt