hist-games: Tablero de jesus

Mark Waks, AKA Justin du Coeur justin at intermetrics.com
Mon Jan 31 10:50:16 PST 2000

Thierry Depaulis wrote:
> Of course, we all know that 'Tablero' means "game board", but is there any
> serious source for 'Tablero de jesus'?

I haven't seen the primary sources myself, so I can't swear to this, but
I *think* it's authentic, if relatively obscure. My recollection off the
top of my head is that it's a minor 15th century game, described in a
single monastic source. (And yes, I've always been a shade curious about
the fact that a clearly gambling-oriented game comes from a monastic
source, but I've seen far stranger things.) I think I've got more info
at home, if I can dig it out. It *is* possible that the whole thing is a
fiction spread by rumor, but the details are surprisingly good if so.

I'm more skeptical about anything claiming that it was turned into a
period drinking game. As far as I know, the drinking game (Tablero da
Gucci) is a strictly modern invention of the SCA. (Hugely popular, but
definitely not period as such.)

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

Re: The History of Usenet
"More seriously, the cabal worked for a while. Then it stopped
 working, and we tried something else. At the time this seemed like
 the end of the world as we knew it, in reality it was evolution in
 action. (The dinosaurs, as they saw the comet streaking down towards
 impact, probably reacted similarly. `Shit. Now we'll never get
 talk.bizarre rmgrouped before those damn mammals take over.')"
		-- Chuq