hist-games: Zillions of Period Games

Mark Waks, AKA Justin du Coeur justin at intermetrics.com
Thu Jan 20 10:16:35 PST 2000

Okay, here's a mystery: why hasn't anyone mentioned this program here
yet? (Or did I miss an earlier announcement.) I just found out about
it...

At the site:

	http://www.zillions-of-games.com/

You can find perhaps the coolest bit of software I've encountered in the
past year: a sort of "generic game engine" that can be customized for a
*lot* of different kinds of board games. It has its limitations (looking
over the docs, I'm skeptical about whether it can handle Rhythmomachy),
but it ships with a couple of dozen period board games, ranging from
tafl to alquerques to a number of chess variants. And it has a rather
nice generic AI engine; this probably isn't as smart as a good
customized AI would be for many games, but it's good enough to give good
competition. And it's got Internet play. And you can create new games
for it pretty easily. (The Chess Variants page has loads of versions of
Chess customized for Zillions.)

Just an amazing program -- I seriously wish I'd thought of it first. I
commend it to any period-games fan who has been looking for computer
opponents...

				-- Justin
				   Taking a hard look at what period
				     games aren't yet there, but could
				     be added...

Random Quote du Jour:

"(I really do hear a voice in my head, that tells me what to do.  But I
 say "yes dear" and hang up the phone, and the the voice goes away.)"
		-- Tibor