hist-games: FW: Bowling pins

Thierry Depaulis thierry.depaulis at freesbee.fr
Sun Jan 2 09:39:47 PST 2000

I suppose you have the kind of long pins (37" = 0.94 m?) that are used for
the game known in Bearn (South-West of France) as "quilles de neuf"
(ninepins!). According to the official rules the standard height should be
0.96 m. The nailed flare ("ventre" or "pomme") is typical of that sort of
pins.

I think I can reconstruct the original wording:
"G[ran]de Fabrique de Quilles Navarron - Morlanne" (Navarron's Great Pin
Factory, at Morlanne)
Morlanne is a village near Pau (France, department Pyrenees-Atlantiques)
where the pins have been manufactured.
According to Lin Kessler, La Quille Vivante, (Paris), nd. (1983), the
Navarrons were pin makers in Morlanne from 1892 to 1976. (More precisely:
Marcellin Navarron 1892-1921, then Pierre Navarron 1921-1976.) It seems
that Pierre Navarron exported his pins... worldwide! At least to Morocco
and... to the USA!

I saw the game played in a village very near Morlanne about 30 years ago.
It was played in a sort of square wooden cabin, and it was very impressive.
It is a rather athletic game since the bowl is very heavy.

Thierry Depaulis