hist-games: Very Long! Rules for 12th C games

Debra Poole dpoole1 at airmail.net
Tue Sep 21 13:05:07 PDT 1999

Hello,
Sorry, I did not get back to you all yesterday.  I have included the rules
for most of the games I posted the other day.  I am looking for the
documentation on two of them and If any one can figure out how to explain
the board for cows and lepoard in words I would love the help!

Nine hole: very simple but fun!  On a board with three rows of three spaces.
Two players take turns placing coins on a space on the board attempting to
get three coins in a row (diagonals do not count). If after both players
have placed 3 coins niether has a three in a row then they take turns moving
their coins one space with out jumping.  A player wins when he gets 3 of his
coins in a row or boxes the other players coins in so they can not move. If
a player wins he keeps all the coins.

Hounds and Hare: On a square board with 5 rows of 5 spaces twelve hounds and
a hare are placed.  The hounds have the top two rows and the outside space
on each side of the third row.  The hare is placed in the center of the
third row.  Play is like fox and geese (diaganals are allowed).

Ming Mang:  (Comes form Tibet) On a 8 by 8 or larger board.  Each player
sets out his "men" along two side rows forming a right angle.  All "men" use
the chess rook's move (orthogonal) and capture is made by placing men on
either side of an enemy piece.
Captured pieces are replaced with friendly men.  You can move between enemy
men without being captured and pieces in corners may not be captured.  A
player must move if it is his turn.  You win by blocking or stopping the
other players move.

Goose: is a very popular game with kids.  You can take the following
information and make it a active game where the kids are pieces.  Simply
place each square on a seperate sheet of paper and place them on spiral on
the ground.  Since some parents do not wish their childern to be exposed to
drinking and gambling I take those out and replace them with kid friendly
ideas when playing this way.  Goose is from 14th Century Italy.  It is a
spiral race game for up to ten players.  Every fourth or fifth space is
marked with a goose.  If a player lands on a goose they get to role again.
This game also includes rules for wagers.  It has some squares that if you
land on them you pay a predetermained toll.  This goes to winnner of the
game.  Normally space six is an ale house and you must pay for ale and loose
two turns drinking it. (I replace this with a water well where kids loose a
turn getting a drink).  Space 19 is a bridge where you pay a toll and wait
to corss the bridge losing a turn.  Space 26 roll a nine to continue.  30 or
31 is a fountain pay a forfeit for a drink (or go back 3 spaces in a non
gambling game just make sure that three spaces back is not a goose).  Space
42 is a maze go back to space 24 (not a goose either). 52 is a prison stay
until another player rolls the number that you rolled to get in there or you
are passed by another player or you roll doubles.  53 roll a nine to
continue.  58 death go back to the start.  61 wine goblet pay a forfeit for
wine (for kid I made it a drink of water and loose a turn getting a drink).
You must roll the exact number to enter the winning circle.  I stop the game
at 65 or 70 squares it is up to you how long your game goes.

Hyena Chase: is another circular race game.  Players start in the village
and must roll a six to get out.  The center is the well and players must
roll a six to return to the village.  You must complete the inward spiral
and return again to start the first player to do this becomes the hyena.  He
must roll a six to return to the well.  After he starts back to the well he
travels at twice the number rolled to reach the well.  After he reaches the
well he must roll a six to start back to the village and still travels at
twice what he rolls but on the way back he "eat" any players he passes.

Alquerques:  On the same board as hounds and hare is played, two players can
play alquerques.  Each player has twelve men they set up along the two rows
near them.  On the center row each player places his two remaining pieces on
his right this leaves only the center space empty.  A piece moves any
direction execpt backwards and each move must be a jump if you jump an enemy
piece you remove it from the board. If you reach the back row on the
opposite side your pieces may move backwards.  You win the game by removing
all the othre players pieces or by blocking his movement.

Tablut: Is from Sccandinavia.  It is an unbalanced war game.  The board is
nine rows of nine squares. king is placed in the center of the board (this
is his throne) no other piece may sit on the throne (but they can move over
it).  Around the king are his 8 knights. They are placed two deep from the
king, the diagonal approches to the king are empty.  In the center 3 spaces
on each side the attacking side is placed.  In addition to these 12 men the
attacker places 4 men on the second row inward between his men and the
knights. For a total of 9 kings men and 16 attackers.  All pieces move
orthogonally. The goal of the king is to reach the side of the board.
Captures are by landing on either side of an enemy piece.  If the king has a
clear path to the side the player must announce "Raichi" (check), if the
king has two clear paths to the side the player says "Tuichi".  The king
wins by reaching the side. The attacker wins by boxing the king in on 4
sides or 3 sides and the throne.

Shut the Box:  This is a wonderful game!  It can be  played by one or more
players. It is played on a board with 9 or 12 large squares.  Each square
has a number 1-9 or 1-12. The player rolls two dice.  Then covers up either
the total of the two dice or one of the numbers ie.  I roll a 2 and a 4 I
can cover up either the 6, 2, or 4.  But only one.  If you cover up all the
numbers above six you may use only one dice.  If you cover all the numbers
up you win.  If you roll and can not cover anything up you lose.

     All of these games come form an artical by Master Kendal Of
Westmoreland, Master Rodrigo de Cerdaana, and Master Salaamallah the
Corputlent called Gaming Medievally published in The Known World Handbook a
SCA publication.  The artical includes many other games espcially some great
active games.  If you would like information on getting a copy of the Known
World Handbook write to SCA Inc. at P.O. Box 360789 Milpitas CA, 95036-0789.
Hope this helps and I am sorry for the misspellings my email does not have
spell check (Can you beleive!) :)

Mere