hist-games: Surviving game of goose boards

Mckay, Michael michael.mckay at compaq.com
Tue Sep 21 11:24:56 PDT 1999

I have seen Goose boards that are +/- 100 years from 1600 in two London
museums: the Victoria and Albert Museum, and the London Guildhall.  I found
them while checking out playing cards, they were printed on paper (there
were several versions around 1680 where each square was a playing card).
I'm pretty sure the V&A had at least one pre-1600 goose board print.

It is pretty easy to find them in the V&A, you simply go into the "print
room", study the catalogs for the stock numbers, and they will bring them
out for you to examine.  The London Guildhall is a bit more difficult, you
have to contact them specifically (ask about the collection from the "Most
Worshipful Maker of Playing-Cards") and make prior arrangements.  But when
you do, it is quite worthwhile!  I leave the final and most difficult trick
to you: getting to London!

Seriously, I think I have a photo or two of goose boards (although my
scanner is down at the moment).  When I get it working, I'll scan any of the
goose boards that I have and make them available.  Regards

Michael McKay  (known in the SCA as Seaan McAy)
seaan at concentric.net