hist-games: 12th C board games

Debra Poole dpoole1 at airmail.net
Sun Sep 19 20:57:20 PDT 1999

Hi,
Have you checked out Nine hole, Solitary Sailor, Hounds and Hare, Cows and
Leopards, Ming and Mang, Goose, Hyena Chase, Alquerques (not known until
1251), Tablut, Hnefatafl(a Norse war game), And my personal favorite Shut
the Box.  I am not sure these all are 12th centu
ry or eariler but I hope it gives you a place to start.  If you would like
rules or documentation on these email me and I will be happy to send it.

Have a great day,
Mere

At 07:43 PM 9/19/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of any board games played in the 12th century other than
chess, nine mans morris and fox & geese?