hist-games: Translations

Thierry Depaulis thierry.depaulis at freesbee.fr
Sun Sep 12 01:05:18 PDT 1999

On Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:37:59 -0700

Matthew Whitaker wrote:

>I'm looking for translations of  the French/English card suits (now,
>"international") mostly in Italian, Portuguese and Spanish, but also in
>Irish, and medieval/renaissance Latin.  I've already got them in French
>and German.

Italian: picche, fiori, cuori, quadri (so they're straight translations
from the French)
Spanish: picas, tréboles, corazones, cuadros (same thing)
Portuguese: espadas (spades), paus (clubs), copas (hearts), oiros (diamonds)
Renaissance Latin (J.L. Vives): vomerculi or palae or spicula (all for
spades), trifolia, corda, rhombuli

>Also, if someone out there is as crazy as I am and wants to tackle a
>conceptual translation for Anglo-Saxon and Norse, that'd be cool, too.

Forget it! These languages were already extinct when playing cards arrived
in Europe (late 14th century).

>But wait!  There's more!  I'm also looking for translations for the
>following words in (Old) Norse:
See previous comment.

Thierry Depaulis