hist-games: Translations

esugenas esugenas at jps.net
Fri Sep 10 12:37:59 PDT 1999

Hello everyone!  It's me again, the guy who likes translations.  I've
checked out numerous sites on the web, as well as many dictionaries, but
I want to be sure that I've got the correct translations.

Any help any of you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  I'm doing
a games handout and I've spent about two weeks on the net searching
translating dictionaries, looking through my own dictionaries, etc.

I'm looking for translations of  the French/English card suits (now,
"international") mostly in Italian, Portuguese and Spanish, but also in
Irish, and medieval/renaissance Latin.  I've already got them in French
and German.

Also, if someone out there is as crazy as I am and wants to tackle a
conceptual translation for Anglo-Saxon and Norse, that'd be cool, too.
In English, the suits are: spades, clubs, hearts, and diamonds.  In
French:  pique (pike), trefle (clover), coeur (heart), and carreau
(tile).  In German:  Pik (pike), Kreuz (cross), Herz (heart), and Karo
(tile).

But wait!  There's more!  I'm also looking for translations for the
following words in (Old) Norse:  King, Queen/Dame/Lady, Knave/Servant,
Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, and Ace.  Also, if
anyone knows whether the Anglo-Saxons used the term "ace [as?]" instead
of "an [one]" that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for at least considering this!

If anyone wants to know what have, or have as a final result, please let
me know.

Matthew Whitaker
Portland, Oregon, USA
esugenas at jps.net