hist-games: Names of Dice

Matthew Whitaker WhitakeM at nwrel.org
Mon Aug 9 16:51:45 PDT 1999

I read somewhere that dice, in the pre17th centuries, were named according
to their pips.

# of Pips	Dice Name
one		Ace
two		Deuce
three		Trey
four		Quarter
five		Cinq, or Sink
six		Sice

(Obviously, some of these are corruption's of French.)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of the names in other languages, or
perhaps a site where I could find them.

I am especially looking for the names in the following languages:  Latin,
French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Irish, and Russian.  Any
others would be great, too.

Any help any of you could provide would be quite appreciated.  Thanks!