hist-games: Board Games Studies and a question

Alex R. Kraaijeveld a.kraayeveld at ic.ac.uk
Thu Jul 29 03:46:03 PDT 1999

Hi all

The journal "Board Games Studies" now has a web-site at

http://iias.leidenuniv.nl/host/boardgames/index.html

And here's the question: Does anyone know more about a Saami chess variant?
An article by T.I. Itkonen published in 1941 in the Journal de la Societe
Finno-Ougrienne states that "the Sami people from Nejden and Paasjoki play
a version of chess that is similar to 'our' chess, but much simpler". This
Saami game is certainly NOT a version of hnefatafl/tablut, because that's
covered in the article as well.

Anyone any clue???

Cheers, Lex

Dr A.R. Kraaijeveld