hist-games: American collections of games?

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Sun Jul 4 09:40:40 PDT 1999

Dear Subscribers,

I'm looking for some time now for further books
about board games, preferably catalogues of museum
collections.

Until now, I haven't read anything from the United
States, but I have found two references I would like
to ask you about.

*
The first one is a book called:

Wendel, Bruce and Doranna:
  Gameboards of North America.
  New York: E. P. Dutton/Museum of American Folk Art, 1986.

I haven't been able to get this book yet.
Does anybody know this book? Is it good?

And what about the "Museum of Amercian Folk Art"?
Has it good a nice collection of game boards or other gaming
material?

*
The second hint is one to a museum collection, described in
the following article.

Koeppe, Wolfram:
  Spielbretter: Aus der Sammlung Harbeson im Philadelphia Museum of Art.
  In: Weltkunst. Aktuelle Zeitschrift für Kunst und Antiquitäten.
  No. 62 (1992), Issue 22, p. 3366–3368.

In this article, a number of game-boards of the Chess/Morelles/Backgammon
style are being described, discussed and dated. There are a number of nice
illustrations and invaluable bibliographical references.

But I would be interested in the said "Harbeson collection" in the Philadelphia
Museum of Art. I know that Philadelphia got a good collection of chessmen,
but I didn't knew about the boards.

Can anybody tell me more about this Philadelphia collection?
Has this museum published a catalogue its game collection?

Any hints will be appreciated; with thanks in advance,